Sunday, September 02, 2007

Sunday

It has been a peaceful day. Was gonna help HM clean the interior of Lunasea but he was snappy so I didn't and cleaned the kitchen countertops instead. That'll show him! Let him be blinded by my shiny counters and KNOW MY WRATH!
Yesterday was a way groovy day as we drove 3 hours to the family's ancestral home to partake in a cornboil with sweet corn straight from the field. Can you say YUM?? Oh sweet jiminy crickets such corny bliss has never been known...except last year when I said the same thing. Tres Yummy! The down side is that 98% of the attendees speak no English so i am semi lost in a sea of accented syllables that after awhile gives me a brain ache. Sheep, cows, rabbits, chickens, ducks, and geese were all admired and kittens eagerly sought by some of the young'ns. Apple trees climbed and relieved of some fruit. Ducks were traumatised by quacking children. It was really great. The weather was perfect. It was also HM's brother's birthday and he was surprised with candles in the dessert cakes. I took a few pictures but got taken away from that so I really only have a few and will post them eventually. Afterwards, we headed to brother's place for snacks and birthdays cake. O my stars...I love framboisee (fram-bwah-zay) cake and will be demanding some for my birthday.
Then the 3 hour trip home in which I was bored stiff because I hadn't the forethought to pack a head lamp so's I could knit in the dark. I got a sock cast on and 3 inches done in the car alone yesterday!!! Love car knitting. I can't get up and leave it so I get heaps done, I don't ask Are We There Yet? over and over, the trip goes faster....its all good.
Tonight for supper I whipped up homemade Sloppy Joes (Anglo Pain Viande). SO much better than the fake crap in cans and mixes. Try it, I dare's ya:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp pepper
1 5.5 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup or so water
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce

Cook onion, garlic, and beef in skillet until onions are soft and beef is browned. DRAIN fat. Add all other ingredients and simmer until sauce is reduced and thicker, stirring often. Serve in grilled hamburger or hot dog buns. Its messy and scrumptious!



No comments: