Sunday, June 17, 2007

REPOST ALERT: Sox Pattern

I needed to repost this so I could find it easier. Sorry for the repeat...but you know the rules (My blog...I am always right...blah blah blah). Oh! And I ripped 2/3s of my baby fingernail off tonight in a cooking accident..HOLY FUCK THAT HURT!! So..like...now its not totally old stuff in this post..HA! I will do anything to avoid redundency...redundancy...redun--- being overly repetitive.

4 needles, top-down method:


This is my idiot proof sock method that Barb helped me with by mentioning things I forget and trying to make it really complicated. Thanks Barb. I'm writing it down here so's I don't lose it and I worked it out so I don't need a pattern. As long as I remember the ratios and steps, I'll get a sock. ALL mistakes and wrong stuffs are mine. If you see a big glaring mistake, comment and I will edit. This formula assumes I have done my math to figure out how many stitches I need to make the sock fit the recipient in the yarn/needle combination I am using (GUAGE). The heel is a simple heel flap with no fanciness at all..plain ass stockingette. CAST ON desired # of stitches making them divisible by 3 ( or 4 depending on number of needles you are using (4 or 5) or ribbing you wanna work, GAUGE etc blah blah blah math ) KNIT leg as desired (ribbing, lacy, whatever) to length desired. HEEL FLAP is half your stitches on one needle worked alone until number of rows equals almost your number of stitches OR until it looks square( rows are longer than stitches are wide therefore something like 36 stitches by 31 rows in a sock yarn with 2.5 mm needles is grand heel flapping). Always slip the first stitch of the row.TURNING requires one to divide the heel stitches by 3. Knit or Purl (depending what side you are on) to the last 1/3 of the stiches, then k2to or p2to (depending which side of the work you are on)and TURN. Repeat. Continue this until you have no more row stitches to k or p 2to with.GUSSET requires you to pick up and knit stitches along the side of the heel flap, knit across the stitches that were held in reserve while you worked the heel, then pick up and knit the other side of the heel. Knit one round with the number of stitches you now have. GUSSET decreases as follows Needle One: knit to last 3 st, K2to,k1, Needle 2 knit, Needle 3 K1,ssk, knit to end of needle. Next round knit all. Repeat until you are back to the # of cast on stitches.FOOT is knit until it is the length of foot from heel to the base of the big toe.TOE decreases same as gusset but on Needle two you k1,ssk, knit to last 3 stitches then k2to and k1. Continue all decreases every other round until you have 1/3 or 1/4 of your cast on number of stitches left (whatever as long as you can divide it by 2.) The smaller the number the pointier your sock toe. Put stitches evenly on two needles, graft or kitchener stitch the stitches to close up toe, finish off all ends and sock is done. Now make another one exactly the same way.

No comments: