Wednesday, April 29, 2009

3 more sleeps....

....and I leave for Puerto Rico.
I am stressed and not ready at all. So what will I do tonight...go knitting of course.

The amazing V has FINALLY made her big announcement. Its knitterly news so go check it out. I have felt up her new product and I wholly endorse it. Think Reynolds Whiskey but better in hand feel. Or Rowan pure wool, but better. 36 luscious, excellent colours.
St.Denis . Coming someday soon to a LYS near you. And supported with beautiful designs from V and other talents.

Tonight I made a meatless supper. I am trying to do at least one meatless dinner a week. Need more easy peasy yummy recipes.

Spicy Beans and Rice a la Me

Of course I don't measure much so do your best.

You need 3 ribs of celery chopped, one onion chopped, one big pepper (red or green) chopped not too small, 2 cloves garlic minced, one hot pepper of choice (I just used jalapenos from a jar because I forgot to buy one) 3 tomatoes chopped.
Heat a pot and add oil then throw in the dryer veggies..save the tomatoes for a bit. Sautee veggies until they start to get kinda translucent and tender.
Add 2 cups broth (vegetable would be best). Simmer veggies in the broth a bit. Add 2 tsp oregano, and a table spoon of curry (powder or paste), some salt and pepper. Stir and simmer, add two cans beans of choice (I used a mixed can and a can of red kidney beans) drained and rinsed, and those pesky chopped tomatoes.
Simmer a couple minutes and since everything is starteing to get all cooked like, throw in a cup of converted/parboiled rice (white or brown). Simmer on low with the lid on, stirring occassionally, until the rice is cooked. Turn off the heat and let stand until the liquid is absorbed.
Serve in bowls with grated cheese on top or use as a burrito filling with appropriate condiments like lettuce and cheese or sour cream.... Its way yummy.


1 comment:

Tara said...

Mmmmm, sounds yummy indeed! I'll be making this one up, for sure!