Thursday, October 23, 2008

Home stretch


The thrummed mittens I cast on for Benoit last week are almost finished! REALLY! I have one thumb left! I used Patons Classic Wool merino and Briggs and Little pencil roving (3 strands per thrum). I'm quite proud of these little babies and pictures will happen when Hman gets back from Myrtle Beach next week.
Speaking to my mum over the phone regarding these lovely WARM mittens has resulted in my Dad thinking a pair for Xmas would be "nice". ????? My DAD would LIKE something handknit???? WOW! Now I am all excited at the prospect of churning out a pair of man sized thrummed mittens for my daddy. ( Just as soon as I make a pair of flip top mittens for Cameron. His requested style.) I am tossing around ideas on colours and yarns...nothing too colourful or it won't be manly enough...nothing to fine or it won't hold up to wear and tear... I don't want them too itchy on his wrists or he might not wear them. Hamster brain has commenced regarding this. Yet, I rejoice because my Daddy will be the reciever of coziness from my heart and needles this Xmas. :oD
As for mom, the plan was for bed socks since she is chilly a lot now that she's 80. Then I bought The Prayer Shawl Companion on Sunday, quite unintentionally, and there is this pattern for a shoulder wrap called a Heart Warmer. Look at the picture, its from the book. Isn't that cunning? Now picture it on a little ol' lady in her cigarette smoke filled house. Does she look cozy? Thats what I thought too. Cozy and easy to put on over her sweater and take off as necessary. I will not be using the recommended Rowan Big Wool but will double or triple a machine washable wool alternative to mimic the thick cushiness. A plus is that I 'heart' seed stitch. To me its just one of the best texure stitches ever. Classic.
Did I mention how chilly it is this week? The water in my birdbath was frozen solid this morning! Snow flakes were sighted yesterday!! Its coming...whimper...its..coming...
Must...knit...faster!!......

2 comments:

K. said...

snow sucks. but yay on family wanting your pretty handknits :D

Tara said...

I love the term "hamster brain". It just perfectly sums up what happens to us when our brains just turn, turn, turn.