Monday, June 09, 2008

How Much Do We Pay?

In the demand for cheap mass markerted goods, people overlook the unseen costs until they smack them in the face with a board.
Cheap plastic toys are great! OOpps! Now we know that the contain lead.
Cheaper/better cans for food are great! Ooops! Now we know they leach Bisphenol A into the "nutritious" foods they hold.
Durable cheap water bottles are great!! Ooops...now we know that they too leach chemicals intothe fluids they hold.
Cheap durable carpets...Ooops! Off gassing!
Affordable cashmere!!! Ooops!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-china-cashmere-htmlstory,1,1760776.htmlstory?coll=chi_news_custom_photos_util_2

4 comments:

Suldog said...

My Dad always said it pays to buy quality. Aside from the obvious - good stuff lasts longer and costs less in the long run - it also is better for the world overall. If there is one thing he taught me that had absolute truth to it, that was it.

Tara said...

I agree. I always buy the best I can afford (and sometimes I buy the best I can't afford!)

Jennifer Lori said...

Hmmm...I'd like to say that THAT'S why I don't own a cashmere *anything*...

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

OMG.