Sunday, June 28, 2009

2012

This is the date given by some, to mark the end of the world or at least the end of the world as we know it. It is based on the Mayan calender and the prophecy that the planets will be in alignment and the poles will experience a geomagnetic reversal and thus will the Earth be changed and cataclysms will take place etc etc...

Its also the title of a film to be released in November. The trailer was shown before Transformers 2 and scared my kids enough for one to say he doesn't want to go to the movies anymore because of the scary grown up trailers and the other to question me about whether its true or not. Hmmmm..............
How to answer this question? At first I just said "Oh its just made up for a movie, don't be silly!" because I had forgotten about all the books and websites and 'scholars' who are touting the theory to be solidly based in truth and fact. This is an idea thats been floating around, has been grabbed by some and examined and blown up to be true because of crop circles and solar flares and ancient calenders.
Just because an idea is supported by many does not make it factual or inevitable. Science does state that our poles did "shift" almost a million years ago and therefore it is possible that we will experience such an event...but these "events" take YEARs and YEARS (we are talking lifetimes upon lifetimes) to actually take place. Some think this idea of a soon to be geomagnetic reversal is supported by the Earths currently weakening magnetic field. This is pause for thought I suppose.
So, given the opinion of many, do you think the world is going to end in 2 and 1/2 years? And if it is, why should I bother to try and lose weight!? Oh yes...I am trying to live in the NOW. Right...forgot about that one.

So much for a girl to remember and think about on a hot summers day.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, wasn't the world supposed to end in 2000, also? And then my zealot neighbor started quoting scriptures prophesizing the end of the world on 9/11. I'll believe it when I see it. And if I do see it, it damn well better be interesting...

Tara said...

If I had a nickel for every time the world was supposed to end...