Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Oh and another thing.........

This year I am having the boys walk to school. "How novel!" you mockingly say? Well, it kinda is. When in NS school was 1/2 hour drive away. Here it's only a 20+ minute walk, but I had issues with security of my kids. Plus, we have bussing in this community. So for the sake of convenience and child safety the boys rode the bus. Now they are in grades 3 and 4 and I think that maybe its time for them to spread their wings a little and use their legs. There is a crossing guard at the busy intersection which is a huge plus and I think that they may be savvy enough now to avoid problems along the walk. This morning I walked with them and at lunch time they are walking back on their own. Whew. I am on tenterhooks.
In light of the disappearance of Cedrica in Trois Rivieres this may seem like I am being glib and neglectful where my children's safety is concerned and believe me I hear ya. But in the broader scheme of things, this is a well travelled route to school, and the boys and I have discussed issues of strangers and how tricksy they can be. We can only do so much to protect our kids without it becoming a overbearing. I am still VERY nervous but I really think that its time that the boys had a little more independence and freedom...and EXERCISE. So, the decision is that they walk.
I am sure my nausea will dissipate in a couple of years.

1 comment:

Suldog said...

VERY much my least favorite time of the year when I was a kid. And I didn't have to start back until after Labor Day (first Monday in September in the US) so if I had to actually go back in AUGUST!!! I would have run away and joined the circus or something.