Saturday, November 01, 2008

5 Minute Cake

My sister Wanda sent me a cake recipe that you bake in the microwave using a coffee mug as the pan. I was skeptical! I thought "Girlfriend has lost her mind sending this out...no way this works!!"

Then I Googled it. It does work. Its not very GOOD cake but if you are in the throes of chocolate deficiency or having a comfort chocolate seizure of some sort, it will fill the bill. I tried it out on Thursday night in my usual slap dash cooking methods (wherein I don't actually measure things but eyeball it and call it GOOD...Like God, non?). I mixed it in a separate bowl and I also oil sprayed my mug.
The result was definitely chocolate cakelike but the texture leaves a lot to be desired...somewhere between brownie and chocolate elastic bands. Like I said, if you are in the throes and willing to eat unsweetened baking chocolate to make it through, this is the recipe for YOU!

The recipe as I recieved it:



5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix
thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate
chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in
the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will
rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a
little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (this can serve 2
if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). And why is this the most
dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5
minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!



2 comments:

Mel said...

I made this a few weeks ago and actually didn't mind it..I found it to be a fudgy consistency...I used really good chocolate pieces though...the one thing I would do different is that my coffee mugs are too tall! Although maybe that's what made it good?

Anonymous said...

Definitely going to be trying that! Maybe I'll crush up my fav. emergency choc bar (Trader Joe's pound plus semi sweet w/ almonds). Then maybe if we put some choc syrup on it afterwards? Or hot fudge...