Thursday, April 08, 2010

No good news today

I found out today that my Dad has been moved from the big city hospital to the one in our home town. He'll be in quarantine for awhile to make sure he's not bringing and nasty bugs (flu etc) with him and then as soon as there is a space he'll be on the Geriatrics floor and then its a matter of the doctors determining what facility will best suit his needs from now on. His current diagnosis is Fast Onset Dementia with some Delirium. The delirium may go away in time, which I'd been hoping for, but that was before I knew that the doctors had settled on Dementia at last. Its been such a long wait for...nothing. So many fal;se hopes that this was something that could be treated or that would pass when all along its wasn't and now, my Dad, my smart Dad is destined for a "facility".

I'd told myself he wasn't going home. I tried to prepare my mother that he wasn't. Now that I am faced with the actual news that he not going to go home again, I cannot stop the tears. I guess there is knowing and then there is reality.

I don't like this reality one bit.

5 comments:

kate-the-enabler said...

I am so sad for your news. I think you have it right - no matter how well one mentally prepares for such news - the sheer emotional wallop it packs is overwhelming. You've had to weather a lot this past while, Alison...give yourself a big ol' hug and a lot of sympathy from me, please..

Tara said...

Aw sweetie... I'm so sad for you and your family. I hope you remember that you're loved and appreciated as you go through the difficult times ahead. xxx

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry. Hugs here anytime you want them. xoxoxoxo

(my word ver. was "buntator"...)

Suldog said...

Terribly sorry to hear this news of yours. I am saying a prayer for you and yours, and I sincerely hope you all get to a peaceful place in your souls as soon as possible.

grammy perkins said...

Well, this told me more than I knew before. I was still holding out hope. Damn!!!!!