Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Hard Call


I've been trying to stay pretty positive about Cooper's prognosis. I've been hopeful. Unfortunately all the care in the world ain't a cure and the poor bugger was not improving beyond his eye and nasal discharges were no longer green.
He's been sleeping a lot and cuddling up looking for heat and comfort. On anti inflammatories he is a pinch more active but nothing like a healthy kitten and also, thats not a cure . He still had a fever today, back up to 40 degrees and now he's losing weight. He's not a big cat so a 1/2 pound loss in a week is a lot. He's been getting a smelly again (cat pee smell) and I noticed that the big blue sofa has the smell where he tends to curl up. I am washing the cushion covers and have Febreezed everything but never was anything wet...I think it just rubbed off (or maybe he was getting dribbly?)Basically, He's plain old getting worse. So today while at the vet we discussed his health, his lack of progress beyond the eye and boogers, how often he would have to come back to the vet if we kept trying to help him. Since the vet is positive in her mind that he has FIP, there would be no actually "getting well", just managing his illness and frankly if its anything like that last 3 weeks has been, we just can't afford several hundred dollars a month in vet bills. All of that added to todays examination meant I had to make the tough call and so Cooper did not come home with me.

Its cold to think of it as cutting our losses but the fact is that if it was FIP, he was just going to get worse and worse. He was obviously not well, and sometimes I could see he was uncomfortable or maybe even in pain. Watching him walk fron his sleeping spot to his food dish was like watching an elderly cat. There was not spring, no litheness to his walk, and he was even somewhat unsteady sometimes. The longer we kept trying to hold out hope or manage his symptoms, the more attached we were going to get and I was getting pretty attached already, what with his wanting to sleep curled up with me as often as possible. What he had with us, albeit too brief, was a family that wanted to love him. A family that gave his last weeks comfort and affection. At least he had that.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I said all along he was where he needed to be, and I know its even more true. You made the right decision, as hard as it was. Because of you he did know lots of love. Many hugs.

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Hugs, Sunshine. You poor dear.

brenda said...

You made the right decision. I am so sorry that this happened.

Val said...

Oh Alison, you need a thousand hugs! Cooper was so lucky to have such a loving family, even for the short time he had. Every pet should encounter love and real affection in its lifetime.

Terri-Lynn said...

Sorry Alison! Hard call for sure, but you made the right one for the poor little guy.

Suldog said...

You did the right thing. You ended the suffering. There is no more blessed thing in the world for someone to do than to end another being's suffering. God bless you for doing it! I guarantee that your friend is in a better place now and thanking you for your many wonderful times together :-)

kate-the-enabler said...

Just adding my hearty 'yeah, what THEY said' to the above comments. He was lucky to have you, your care, attention and efforts, and your courage to make the right decision when it came down to it. You need a break now. Can you take a break? Hugs.

Karine said...

So sorry about the kittie. I understand the financial issue. Just think of him running around in kitty heaven, with endless supplies of Fancy Feast Sea Food meals, tons of grass to roll around on, mice to chase all day and of course, his suffering being over.

A. Hiscock said...

I'm so sorry to hear it. But add my voice to the rest: you made a responsible decision, and did what was best for Cooper. It's never an easy decision, and has to be the worst part about being a pet owner. I send you virtual hugs. xoxo

Caroline said...

I'm so sorry you had to make this decision. I'm glad you did though, even though it's a very hard decision to make. Working at a vets a few years ago, I got to see a lot of things and I learned a lot about people. We often forget that animals have feelings too and prolong their suffering for our own emotional needs. Thank you for thinking of Cooper first, but also for giving him such wonderful final weeks.

... Ah crap! I'm crying now (and at work).

Take care luv!